Saturday, January 20, 2007

Module 4 Tasks

Module 4 Tasks - Downloading Tools

Adobe Pdf Reader


This software is really useful upon writing pdf files and reading pdf files. In fact most of the journal articles which I got from the websites are written in pdf files, as I think the main reasons would be it is easy to be used, wouldn’t take too long for downloading a ten pages file, pictures are well presented and the most important thing would be after downloading the file it is really easy to be read. It also support more secure, which often when I was just unable to modify the document in pdf files. Finally the latest pdf reader is also free to be used and it takes advantage of improved functionality such as saving pdf files in word documents and the layout, format, tables and pictures are all being retaining.

Window Media Player

I have downloaded media player and real network real one player in my computer to find out which one would be more useful. In fact the answer was media player, the design of media player looks more simple and easy to easy, the songs locate in the library are more easy to be located as in real player I just have problems in finding my songs. Even though most files support in media player can also be played in real player however I do find that when I am watching online movie, most website don’t really support real player and when they are played in real player they seems to me they are a bit slow and the quality aren’t that good. As a result, I think I would still rate media player 10/10 and real player 7/10.

Webcoppier

Webcoppier is a software which I found it useful to be use. It is able to help me by saving my favorite website on to my hard drive while I am sleeping or working rather than rely on my slow internet connection. In fact, the most important thing would be I was able to take full advantage of the whole websites by allowing me to copy, print and save the websites onto my pen drive or cd-rs. Furthermore the latest webcoppier also allow me to download me a number of website at the same time and resumes my incomplete files and create a number of backup files to prevent the loss of data. Below is an example of webcoppier.

Bookmark manager

Bookmarks manager is software which it is able to automatically keep track on our favourite websites and sort them according to alphabetically or according to the type you wish to. This will enable me easier to locate the website and the most important it is able to automatically import bookmarks from your browser. In fact I am also able to add on password on my bookmarks, so that no one will know allow opening my bookmarks. I had been using Bookmark manager for a number of years and I think it is worth install it in your computer as they won’t take much space and is so easy to be use. Below is a picture of bookmark manager.





Module 4 Searching Tasks

My most commonly used internet search engine would be Google as I feel that it is able to search more information and more detail compare to other search engine. I was able to hits 103,000,000 for the word advanced internet user in Google compare to yahoo 56,700,000. In fact, I was often told that Google is able to produce more websites which is related compare to other search engine.

Module 4 Boolean searching Task

In fact by using Boolean searching skills I was able to minimize I results from the previous 103,000,000 hits to 317,000,000 hits. In fact by following Boolean skills upon adding and, or, and not I am able to filter out the unrelated results and able to find the results that is most relevant, based on the word I type in the search. This searching skills is especially valuable when you are required to find something which is more related to your assignment topic.





Module 4 Tasks Organising search information task

URL: http://www.developers.net/
Author: Taperstry.net
Institution: Taperstry.net
Blurb: This website, shown below is a site for computer lovers, but is also a good resource for anyone who is new to computer. It’s the so source of all sorts of computer news, information, and even software. Whether you are an old hand with computers or just learning your way around one, the computer center channel has something for you. In fact, you are able to learn easily about much information technology without having to spend extra money on purchasing technology books. In fact this websites is really cool and fun and I would recommend this website to who is really interested in learning about information technology.

URL: http://www.helpbytes.co.uk/
Author: Helpbytes
Institution: Helpbytes
Blurb:
http://www.helpbytes.co.uk/ is a British website that provides free help for people who is struggling with using internet as well as provides free online assistance for beginners with general computer knowledge. In fact the visitors that visit this website was also high which an average of 3100 people daily.

The site also features profiles of people from British and their favorite sites. A major feature of this site is that you will received online update which is a free, easy to read newsletter that provides a succinct weekly overview of significant trends and developments in Information Technology.

Every news story is archived and the whole news record is searchable and a great place to find out about relevant topics from Information Technology, education to information technology, copyrights and latest information technology.

URL: http://www.howstuffworks.com/
Author: Professor Marshall Brain
Institution: Convex Group
Blurb: The how stuff works website is to be a resource for people from all age to find out about how things actually works which range from car’s, computers, software, travel, science, people and others. Indeed, The how stuff works website has been a subsidiary of the Convex Group in Atlanta. The how stuff works website also promotes free IT education and IT course. The site offers help to access online skills with links to sites like the IT skills taskforce, who have developed the information technology website http://www.free-ed.net/free-ed/ with the national office for the information technology.

Module 4 Organising search information task

The reliability and authority of the site / source / article

Professor Marshall Brian is an popular writer who has won many award winning in graphic and operates how stuff works, a popular Website that features online tutorials for computer, cars, technology and house and more. In fact, Michael has also written more than two dozen computer books and hundred of articles.

The main ideas or subjects discussed in the article

The main goal of this website also give students a broad range selection of topics from computing general and of the internet technologies in particular. Indeed in this website contains many Computer links, tips, fonts, tutorials and tons of useful stuff which personally think is perfect for beginning to advance in information technology and is so much related to our internet studies course. In addition, some of the great free tutorials contains in this website is written by many of the popular author. In fact, I would say this website is worth a visit.

The purpose for which the site was written (this might include any apparent external interest, intellectual motivation or contextual information)

The purpose of this website is also allows us to focus on the difficulties of introducing a new technologies to the real world. The website has the practical goal of letting the readers use these new technologies to their full advantage. In fact, I believed that the intention if the author was also to encourage peoples know more about information technology and to understand the risks while they are surfing of the internet. Finally, many of the books in this website are also free and there are lists of free trial software for the user to download and have a try on it.

Question: In terms of your own future use, which 'body ' of information (ie. the original 'snapshot' of the site, or your own, annotated, analytical version) would be most useful to refer back to?

In terms of my own future, I would say that when I first accessing the website, the well design colorful website with interesting pictures and high quality free video based tutorials really catch my attention and increase my interest on this website. The unique method with video teaching really increase my understanding on information technology as I were able to play back the video a number of times when I still have some problems with understanding. In fact, when you go through the video, you will notice that many of the way they teach are related to our internet studies course which I guess it might also catch your interest too when you visit this site.

Question: In term of external users (i.e. if you included this site as a hyperlink or resource on a website) which body of information would best help them judge if the site was useful or of interest to them?

In terms of external user I would say that this website will be useful for students taking an introductory course in computing, for social science students who wants to know more about internet and web technology and for those who are interested in seeing how technologies will affect their lives or their jobs. It does not require any background in computer science, but experience in using PCs and the internet will be an advantage.

Finally in my own opinion, I also felt that this website is designed in a way which is very reader and clear for someone who is new to information technology. Personally, I have also visit to a number of different website , and I must say that Professor Marshall Brian website are one of the best website which I would rate 10/10, as many of the information available in this website is well organized and the tutorials, tips, videos and notes have more than twice as
other website.

No comments: