Friday, January 26, 2007

Module 3 Tasks

Module 3 Tasks

Module 3 – HTML Tags

This is the first time I am dealing with html tags and I would say it would be a challenge to me because personally I am not good in programming and often have difficulty in understanding html codes. However, in order to complete this tasks I think I will have no choice but to read through the html tutorial and writing html lesson 1-14 provided and record the difficulty which I encounter and tags which I am unfamiliar with.

The website really gave me an idea on how to write html, and by going through lesson 1-14 I had finally managed to create my own website. Perhaps I would personally rate this website as 10/10 as it is so useful that I would able to overcome all the problems which I had been facing for the past few years.

Pictures doesn’t appear
In fact there are still some difficulties which I am encountering while designing my own website. The first problem which I am facing is that I was unable to load the pictures. I have been trying different methods by changing the name of the picture, the location, size but the pictures still didn’t seem appear. However, after a number of try and going through the example I finally figure out the problem which indeed was I forgotten to add in .jpg at the end of the name of the picture. It was really tiring and much of my time had been wasted on fixing the first problem.

Slash Character
The second problem was when writing html codes, I often forgotten to add the slash character which is “/”. Indeed often when I finished my writing on codes, my page just couldn’t be show in a well manner which often I have to try one by one to find out which codes I have forgotten to add the slash character. I believed it is the most frustrating problem because it could takes you hours to find out the single slash and in fact if you are unable to figure the problem, the whole process fail which often I have to rewrite the whole html again. I would say that the best thing to do is to test the website every time you complete in order to prevent from having to rewrite the whole html again.

Linking with anchors
However I would say when you reach lessons 8, html codes become more complicated. Linking with anchors require many tries especially when you are intending to link with local files or links to section of the page. It often confused me up a number of times as the codes just appear to be very similarity but they just couldn’t function if the wrong formula had been applied.

Finally, designing a well looking websites is very important. It should be notice that alligment should be well adjust so that the words will be starting from the left to write. This causes less confusion, as the user would be pointed in the correct direction.
Below is a screen shot of progress which I make with word pad :



Module 3 - WWW Standards

Appearance
Very often, many appearances of the website show that there is some inconsistency, for example: the total heading in the total heading is not in bold and some of the alignments on the option box are not well justified. Indeed, the fonts of various aspects of the website are not Arial or Times New Roman and some of the title are in capital letters and some not. See figure 1.1

As a result, it should be remembered that the designed of the website is to communicate complex ideas clearly by using appropriate font and format. Whether the website is designed for business or personal use, the body text of the website should be prepared in Times New Roman or Arial font, line should be double-spaced or one-and-a-half spaced, set at 12 points and capital letters using in title of the system should be consistent because they are recommended and applicable for formal reading and unstructured format may appear arrogant.

Graph Lines
In regards to the graph, many of the websites often show that the graph lines appear to have similar colours with the background which indicates that it is very difficult to see.

To solve this problem they should avoid using as much high-resolution colours and should apply a different colour for the borders background, such as lighter colours. It is also suggested that the page would look better if lighter colours were used instead of yellow, which in fact could give the page a more professional look.

Pictures
Often when adding pictures or logo on the websites, users should design themselves by rather than copy from somewhere else because this could be plagiarism or breach of copyright and logo.

Colors
Furthermore, it should be noted that to much colors on a website may also appear to have some negative effect. Moreover, the pages appear to be in colour on a colour monitor. However if the printer used does not have colour capability, Internet explorer translates the colours to grey shades when printing. In fact, it’s difficult to distinguish some colours, particularly some dark ones, from one another when explorer translates them to grey shades and when printing.

As a result, when designing a websites make sure that the colours not so harsh to make the pages in the eplorer more readable while printing on printer that has no colour capability.

Make sure that purple or pink colours should not use as background as they will appear to be hard to read and give a bad impression to the reader.

Test and update
Finally, always test the whole website to make sure that all the formula and links works. It should always check to make sure that the links still exists and will bring to the correct site. The user should also make sure that all information is up to date and should update or modified their website frequent to give a new impression to the reader and to boost confident upon readers so that they will come and visit or support our website again.

Have you used images or words on your web page or website that contravene copyright laws? Would you be in breach of copyright if you put the Curtin logo at the top of your web page for an assignment? I have not used any images or words that contravene copyright law on my website. Copyright is the legal protection afforded an expression of an idea, such as a song, logo, video game, and some type of proprietary document. Having a copyright means that no ones can use your song, logo or video games without your permission.

In fact, I would have breach of copyright if I were to put the Curtin logo at the top of my web page for an assignment. It should be remembering that copyright infringement is illegal. That means that it is against the law, outside of a fair use situation, to simply copy a copyrighted picture, text, or anything else without permission, whether the copyrighted is on the internet or not. In particular, it’s illegal to copy copyrighted images, music or logos while doing assignments. In fact, it should be noted that unauthorized copying is illegal because copyrighted music, images and software are consider as intellectual property that is protected by copyrights law and user licensing agreements.

Eventually, some documents, books and software’s, allows you to use their copyright material for your personal, non commercial use or use within your organization for non-commercial purpose, provided that an appropriate acknowledge is made, and the material is not altered or information is not to be passed off as your own. For example, Learning Microsoft Office Publisher 2003 textbook that comes with software allows a 30days trial from the date of you purchased on a single computer and for academic use. It should note that the software or data are licensed and not sold to you. You own only the disk but they own the software itself. As a result, upon purchasing it is important to read the license carefully before opening the package.

Finally, subject to the fair dealing provisions of the Copyright Act 1968, you must not make any other use of copyright material unless you have the commonwealth’s written permission to do so or the organizations itself has given a remuneration notice to Copyright Agency Limited (CAL) under the Act (Commonwealth of Australia 2005).
This is a pictuire of a well design simple website

Module 3 FTP

Yeah, I am so happy that finally I am able to upload my website onto webct. It has eventually taken me hours to figure out the problem. I guess it is time for me to go to the pub to have some beer upon celebration with my friend Daniel by willing to spend hours with me figuring out the problem. Once again thanks a lot Daniel. The url of this website is
http://curtinnetcom.blogspot.com/.

Blog

I have chosen blooger to write my blog because I found that it is user friendly, providing more space in terms on which I have to upload a lot of images on to it. Indeed I also like the templates which they design, give me a feeling on warm welcome every time I visit to my website. Below is a snapshot of my blog.


‘Top Five Tips For New Bloggers’

Firstly, never just copy and paste someone's material: whether it is a picture, logo, or slogan as you may fall in the trap of Copyright Law. The best thing to do is to acknowledge where the material comes from by reference it or ask for permission first before using someone’s material.

Secondly, Avoid using unacceptable font’s that are hard to be read. Use font such as Time’s New Roman, Arial, Verdana and other’s which are more easily to be read. Also make sure that the Font should be change when writing a new blog, as this may create confusing upon reading and turn the page looks terrible.

Thirdly, new bloggers should always use the normal font size which is easy to be read and must avoid using Font Size that are too big (32) or too small (8). Indeed, the size should always be maintain the same rather them some are big and some are too small.

Furthermore , new bloggers should also avoid putting too many picture and too very litter words because this may take a long time for readers to open the page especially the reader’s that are still using modem. On the other hand, too many picture’s on the site with very limited words may also turn the reader’s attention down, as the information required are often too limited and the picture’s which are posted are often irrelevant or they doesn’t really match the site and may turn the site looks worst.

Finally, bloggers should often visit their site all the time by adding new information and remove materials which are too old. If the site always remains the same, readers may feel boring and decide not to visit again. However, if the site is left for a certain period without being used, modified or visit, the account may also turn into inactive and eventually you may have to start all over again or someone’s may have taken it away.

No comments: